Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED

3 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED - Page 4 Empty Re: The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED

Post by Amalgamator Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 pm

"As you wish." Nyla stated, satisfying Bradford's words with a response and causing his frown to shoot to a satisfied smile. After a second, the girl's voice once again the slightest bit sarcastic, she continued, "It will be very boring traveling now, though." She smiled slightly after finishing her point, her smile unnoticed by Bradford as he stopped himself from grunting at another hop of Nightfire. All the same, after a few seconds, Nyla seemed to notice the strategist's tired eyes and added, "You look really tired, you should really sleep tonight, when we set camp."

With a sigh, Bradford agreed, scanning the area for the few timid daytime predators which were pouncing about. His eyes were too lazy to stay on an interesting lump of shadow here, or a colorful bush there, his mind's eye still focused in on memories as his thoughts continued. The clopping of the horses and the splashes of tiny puddles they trotted through were the only sounds to accompany the travelers, not beside the various items jumbling about within their saddlebags. Time seemed to move faster without conversation, for Bradford, for his mind was very busy and worn.

(Let's skip through time to when we either stop for camp, or when we start another conversation, or anything else really.)
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED - Page 4 Empty Re: The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED

Post by Guest Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:19 pm

(Okay... I'll do it now!!! Sorry for the long wait, and Thank You for being patent!!!)

The two traveled throughout the day, without farther conversation. Nyla focused on trying to ride over the easiest parts of the forest, and when the riding was smoother, she allowed her mind to drift off. Nyla shared few thoughts with Iantha, as she had nothing to say... Neither of them did. Nothing happened throughout the day, to Nyla's happiness. Though by mid afternoon, she kept wishing something would. Every now and then, she found herself dozing, and many of the times, she had almost slipped out of her saddle. By the time the sunlight grew faint, and the humid air around them cooled, Nyla was hoping for anything in the world to happen.

With the fall of evening, Nyla grew happier. Evening meant making camp, and the girl couldn't wait to do something... When Nyla thought she had found a suitable spot for camp, she lightly jumped from her mare. She landed with a thud, and she was happy to see no dust billowed up from the ground. The land here, was fertile and moist, perfect farming land. The small meadow she had chosen was flat, and the grass was shorter. The tree's were thin around their camp, so it would be easy to see predators coming. Also, their wasn't much brush, for the predators to hide in. Nyla looked up at Bradford, for approval,"Well, is this a good spot?"

Iantha followed the pair throughout the day, keeping her mind on questions she could not answer. Like, what are the glittering stars made out of? And what comes after death. She pondered these questions, and hardly noticed time slipping by. Soon it was evening, and the glittering purple dragon still had no idea about the answers to these many questions. Iantha looked up as she saw the pair come to a stop, and she saw Nyla jump from her horse. The Dragon stayed around a hundred yards back, not wanting to camp.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:09 pm

(Thanks for the message, and welcome back! Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.)

The day crept on, each light breeze, each bounce, each step, each breath flew by as if sleep had consumed Bradford. The scholar fought to keep his eyes open a few times, especially in the lighter terrain, his inhibition barely keeping him awake. The evergreen trees around Bradford filled the air with a crisp, fresh smell he would never get used too, but the smell itself still could not keep him focused in his daze. The only hope the scholar had of staying awake during the light travels rested in his own mind. The man fought with himself inside his head, allowing hard memories to re-surface so that he could organize his mind once more.

The man did not look over to see Nyla more than thrice during their travels, for whenever he was conscious to the memories of her presence, he heard the sound of her horse, or the noises of the naturally-armored dragon behind her, and was satisfied of their presence sufficiently. The man finished off the small bits of meat from the morning throughout their travels, half enjoying the tough, cold meat as he rode onward, also drinking water and occasionally petting Nightfire out of compassion. The ground the scholar and his steed covered with his new companions was not exceptional by his standards, however he was satisfied to have made some leeway by the time the sun began to set.

A half hour or so before the sun set, as Bradford and Nyla were passing through a thinned-out meadow, Nyla stopped and hopped off her horse without any forewarning, causing Bradford to immediately lose his train of thought as he quickly reacted, stopping his own horse and looking back at her. "Well, Is this a good spot?" Nyla asked, a half-interrogative gaze masking her complexion as she looked over at the scholar. The young man looked around, observing the environment for a few moments to properly assess it.

After a moment, Bradford turned back to Nyla, still seated on Nightfire, who was grazing on the grass below as the scholar responded, "This is a good spot, however it is not a great spot." The scholar then smiled intelligently at Nyla and pointed over to a few gray masses in a few trees about fifty feet away and continued, "Those are bee hives." after another moment, he lowered his arm and further dictated, "I would not mind camping near hives if there was a water source in sight, however there is not." After thinking slightly more, Bradford smiled cheerfully at Nyla, his eyes betraying tiredness as he commented, "This is a good terrain, however, we needn't go far."

With this said, Bradford waited a few seconds, watching Nyla with an encouraging smile, then turned around on his horse and continued on a slow gallop, now far more alert. The scholar was encouraged by the time of day and the terrain he was in, both signs that he would get rest soon, however he desperately wished for a source of water, at least a small stream, for two of his three large water skins were empty and his last was only half full. Bradford did not say anything as he continued on in the meadow, however, for he wanted to see if Nyla would find a better spot. The meadow did not have many sticks with which to make a fire, but a short walk to a more woody area could likely solve said problem.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by ∞Infinity∞ Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:15 pm

(Well, here goes!! I've missed this topic so much, I've had dreams about it!!)

Nyla scanned the area, almost in the same way as Bradford was doing. Except she was thinking of putting the land to use in different ways. Being raised on a small farm, Nyla was used to finding the best places to plant plants. The young girl, half listening as Bradford started to speck, half not, knelt down. "This is a good spot, however it is not a great spot." Nyla rolled her eyes, ready to camp. As he continued on, she stuck her finger in the moist earth. The dirt that then showed was dark, almost black. Extremely fertile land. The grass that grew around here, was green. Pumped full of nutrients from the soil. It would be good for the horses...

"I would not mind camping near hives if there was a water source in sight, however there is not." Nyla looked at Bradford, confused.
"This is a good terrain, however, we needn't go far." Nyla then remembered what they had been talking about. She had just got so caught up in how nice the soil was here... Nyla shook her head to get soil from her head. "Okay. There should be a stream around here somewhere. The dirt is really wet, and this grass." Nyla kicked at it with her foot,"Can only grow where there is running water. It can not survive off the ground's nutrients alone." Nyla then mounted, as she watched Bradford kick his horse into a canter.

She followed, Honey keeping up with the pony in a brisk trot. Nyla kept her ears open for the sound of running water. She also watched Honey's ears, as the horse would hear it before her. Before long, she felt the mare stiffen a little, and pull to the right. The Morgan had only been given water once in the day, because Nyla thought she would get moisture through the humid air. So she had a right to be a little thirsty, and pull a bit. When Nyla felt the mare stiffen though, she gave her head.

The bay quickened her pace, and Nyla gripped with her legs and turned. She waved to Bradford, and turned back to the mare. Honey was taking them back the way they had come. But not into the trees, into a little rocky part of the meadow. After about two minutes, the mare slowed then stopped. She pawed at the rocky ground, which woke Nyla almost better than anything else could have. In the little hole the mare had pawed, water trickled in. "There's your water. But the ground is kinda rocky here."

(Sorry there's a lot of talking. But I needed to, so I could get back into the swing of things. Also, how was that post with what you were talking about?)
∞Infinity∞
∞Infinity∞
Good player
Good player

Location : Standing alone in the clouds. Looking down on everything I ever did.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 pm

(I hardly ever remember my dreams, but I probably had a few about this roleplay. I have to admit that I had not forgotten this roleplay once since we were last rolling with it, but I feel more euphoria as we continue once more than I did re-reading it. Also, your response didn’t have a lot of talking, it was just a few lines.

As far as what I described goes, you sort of did it, a little. In your first paragraph, when you said, “she rolled her eyes, ready to camp,” you could have said, “she rolled her eyes, her expres​sion(described) exhausted” and you would have gotten more description out of it. Flowing action is a bit better, but try to work progression and simultaneous events in together.

And, as a side note, there wasn't much for me to respond too, so I had a short post. Plus I'm tired, and it took awhile to make sure I got some details right.)

Bradford followed Nyla, looking around as he went so that he could estimate their direction. He noticed a few flying creatures and the dimming sunlight peaking through the small gaps in the canopy above. Once again, the scholar was thinking about some stressful memories, however he felt that his mind was in order before they changed course. Soon enough, he was left with observations to make about the surrounding forest as they traveled.

Honey and Nightfire soon picked up the trace of water, forcing Bradford to leave his mental sanctum in order to focus around himself. He chuckled softly to himself as his Dales Pony swerved over to the right and, having seen Nyla’s waving hand, encouraged his horse to match her speed, trying to maintain the same speed as her. He noticed that the horses were more-or-less going back in the direction they had come, yet the terrain was different. Instead of a great deal of grass, the ground was very rocky, with few trees and an underground well of water. Nyla commented on the terrain, but Bradford only offered her a calm grin and listened.

Bradford was not a fan of underground water, because it made a great many people sick in the past, but water was water. “This is good enough,” he commented, waiting until after Nyla had spoken. He dismounted Nightfire and pulled her lead over to a somewhat thin tree, securing the horse moments later. “We can camp here for tonight, but there won’t be much food. It’s near winter, so most of the creatures who’d like this terrain are hibernating.” He then searched his saddle bags and pulled out a wooden spoon and a pot. “In any case, one of us needs to get water, the other needs to get firewood. Which would you prefer?”
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by ∞Infinity∞ Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 pm

(Really? That's sad... I almost always remember my dreams, and I often have extremely weird dreams that sometimes depict little images, that will happen later that day, or months later. It's kinda like my sixth sense, but whenever it happens, I get a horrible sense of day ya vu. And a super bad headache. Lol I spelled day ya vu wrong I'm pretty sure... And i'll work on my writing some more. I was also very tired!!)

"This is good enough" As Bradford said this, Nyla  looked down, a little disappointed. She had hoped he would be a little more impressed with her work.  Nyla's cloudy, sullen expression went unnoticed as Bradford dismounted. Nyla loosened Honey's girth as the young man tied Nightfire to a wimpy, little tree.“We can camp here for tonight, but there won’t be much food. It’s near winter, so most of the creatures who’d like this terrain are hibernating.” Nyla nodded as he said there wouldn't be much food, she could live.

In any case, one of us needs to get water, the other needs to get firewood. Which would you prefer?” Nyla looked over into the woods, the evening sun acting shadows that looked like big animals, with white, sharp teeth. "I think I'd prefer the water..." She said, her face hot with embarrassment. She wasn't used to the fear of the dark, but it could easily overcome her, she didn't feel like hurting her, already hurt ankle. The ankle which was actually throbbing pretty, badly right now.

Nyla looked back to Bradford, "do you think you could show me how to do this?" She asked, kicking at the ground. Iantha, meanwhile, was slowly sauntering after the two. She still kept up with the conversation through Nyla, but was becoming bored with this forest. As a dragon, she had a lot of energy, energy that was being wasted walking through a forest. If she had been hatched around 30 years before, she would be strong, and smart, and Nyla and Bradford could ride her. Instead of those weak beasts called horses. The Dragon gave a annoyed growl, a thick stream of smoke bellowing from her nostrils.
∞Infinity∞
∞Infinity∞
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:23 pm

(Deja vu. Also, those images are not, in fact, your sixth sense. Your brain is recollecting memories and organizing itself during dreams, among other processes. Nothing from the present or the future occurs in dreams, only the past. So you might be anticipating something in the future based on what you did in the past, for example, in a dream you might've gotten an A on a test, then found out that you aced a pre-cal test you thought you failed miserably at. It's only Deja Vu because of the association between anticipated memories and coincidental reality, and your mind goes crazy because you start to second-guess your state of consciousness. That's what my Google research is telling me, at least. :3

Your writing is fine, there isn't much to talk about here. I find that describing how they camp is good and all, but there needs to be something abnormal or special about it, not just, "hey, I'll go get stuff, then we'll sleep. K?" or, "Oh dear, a wolf attacked, let's kill it!" Specifically, I am referring to character development. For instance, while digging, Nyla is reminded of digging a grave of a farm animal, so she gets into a melancholic mood and later reveals more about her past to Bradford. That is probably a bad example, because there isn't much character development at all, and it is completely coincidental, but just find ways to "make life more interesting.")

After Bradford’s question, Nyla quickly answered, “I think I'd prefer the water,” with a clearly embarrassed expression. Bradford nodded and started to walk over to her with the two items, a casual smile still covering his brilliant face. Before he managed to pass the two items to her, she asked, “do you think you could show me how to do this?” Bradford paused before answering, watching Nyla kick at the ground with slight confusion. He then confidently answered, “why of course!” and knelt down a few feet in front of her.

Bradford’d dark-green robe separated at the hem into two flaps as he knelt, courtesy of the design. He brushed the two separated flaps out to the sides and placed the pot on the ground. “What you need to do is make a well,” he commented, sticking the wooden spoon into the ground as he spoke. The scholar then looked over at Nyla and continued, “it’s not just digging though, you need to find the dampest area so you get the most water out of it. And Don’t just drink it, we need to strain out the dirt first.” He then pointed to a darker spot a few feet away and looked over at Nyla, “darker spots tend to be damper.”

With his quick set of instructions over, Bradford stood up and took a few steps back, smiling warmly at Nyla. “I’ll leave it up to you. I need to find some tinder and fuel,” he said, turning towards a less rocky area. Bradford had a inkling of curiosity about the whereabouts of Iantha, but he decided that, a dragon’s will can carry it anywhere. With that thought, he nodded at Nyla and turned away from her to start his search for firewood.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by ∞Infinity∞ Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:26 pm

(Wow... I've never had it explained like that. In my little rural, farming town, we are slightly superstitious... I've always had it called a sixth sense. Strange, when you say it like that. All scholarly like :p In my area we don't focus on that kind of learning... we focus more on Agriculture. That's why I know more about animals, and plants than anything. Also why I read so much, so I can get away from the whole "country hick" scene...

Sorry for taking so long to reply! It planting season, and I've been fairly busy. So if I'm a little slow, please forgive me!)

“What you need to do is make a well, "Nyla watched carefully as Bradford showed her how to do it. She nodded, her face stern, when she felt it necessary. "It’s not just digging though, you need to find the dampest area so you get the most water out of it. And Don’t just drink it, we need to strain out the dirt first.”  Nyla could also recall redeeming somewhere, that you should boil the water, because of microscopic organisms living in it that could make you extremely sick. 

Nyla was brought back to reality as a silence overtook the area. Nyla had completely missed Bradford's last sentence, but as she looked up to his smiling face. She smiled back. "Ok" She said pleasantly. Her eyes looking into his with a somewhat, complete understanding. Then feeling as if she had held his gaze to long, she dropped her eyes.  “I’ll leave it up to you. I need to find some tinder and fuel,”  Nyla nodded again, her blank eyes still staring at the ground. Then as she watched him leave, she scooted over to a darker patch of dirt, and started doing what Bradford had instructed. She was faintly aware of Iantha getting closer, as she worked collecting the water. 

Iantha walked faster as she grew nearer to the two. She was hoping the two would provide some amusement, with their funny, unique human ways. That was one thing Iantha had been pondering, the ways of human friendships. How could they so easily trust each other, even if they had just meant? Iantha thought she would never know. Her wonderings were interrupted with a spark of curiosity from Bradford, wondering where she was. I'm on my way, young one!  She called to him  through her mind. Iantha then came upon the rock clearing, and instantly the scales on her back pitched, and her muscles grew taught. The brilliant Dragon could see her partner gathering water, undisturbed. But there was something strange about this place. She let her emotions go out to the two of them, her worries included.
∞Infinity∞
∞Infinity∞
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:44 pm

(I am not at all superstitious, probably due to my fascination with science. Agriculture is a life science, so technically you do focus on “that kind of learning,” but on different subjects. I have tests, major projects and papers coming up, so I’m sorry to say that I will be quite slow as well. Hopefully that’ll clear up before exams at some point.

And, in your first post, there is no way in all of the earth that a medieval person would know the words “microscopic” or “organism,” or even that creatures smaller than ants existed. That knowledge came with the invention of microscopes. The theory of that time was that if you drank water in a silver chalice, or clear water, or bubbly water, it was healthy.)

As Bradford walked away from their to-be campsite, he heard the crackling thud of the scaly purple dragon land behind him, somewhere near Nyla, and the words, I’m on my way, young one casually resounded in his head. A discomforting and strange mixture of worry and curiosity filled his mind, shocking him. He decided not to pay much attention to the dragon’s mind-sent emotions, instead focusing on his surroundings. Just because the game animals were hibernating didn’t mean the predators were.

After a few minutes, the scholar looked back and could only barely make out the outline of the horses at the campsite. He looked back at the surroundings ahead of him, but stopped moving immediately. I’ll stay within eye-sight. I haven’t encountered mixed terrain like this in my survival training he mused to himself, turning to his right and searching once more. As he observed, the grassy and rocky terrains blended together rather suddenly around where he was standing. Pebbles, stones, dirt and grass all blended together in odd proportions, making a good footing difficult to achieve.

Around a half-hour after he left, he walked back towards the camp with an armful of timber, an armful of fuel, and a handful of tinder. During his collection of wood, he barely made a thought due to his tiredness and lack of focus. The task became more of a mindless occupation for him. After realizing that he hadn’t been looking around for predators, he began to think that he was lucky. When he neared the camp, his sore feet speaking quqiet protest with each step, he shouted, “Nyla! Can you clear a dry spot for the fire?”
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4