Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED

3 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED - Page 2 Empty Re: The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED

Post by Amalgamator Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:48 pm

(According to what you said, in your last post...Nyla was talking about what Iantha was about to do? Is that right? Also, you want to separate your characters more? The least confusing way we can go about this is to type our responses in strict chronological order, that way, as I read, time moves forward. If you bounce about, going from what happens in a few minutes to what is happening immediately, especially without some sort of time reference, it's going to be impossible for me to know what's going on.

Also, there is absolutely no need to separate Iantha and Nyla more. It does not become less confusing, in fact, by separating the actions of the two, you confused me more. By separating the actions of the characters, I have no idea when one character is performing which actions, and my whole idea of 'time' flies out the door as soon as I make it to that second character. Let's not confuse ourselves by trying to innovate too much, let's just stick to chronological order and write what happens next, next, and what happens at the same time, at the same time, and what happens in the past, in the past, or not at all. I feel that it requires much less conversation that way. We'll get used to each other eventually, don't worry.

In any case, I decided to go back in time, ignore the last part of my previous post, and re-do it according to your current last post. Confusing? This is why I hate paradoxes. Just read on and you'll understand what I did. Also, at the end, I purposefully said nothing after getting up so that you would have time to talk, if you'd like. You won't need to recap much at all, just Bradford sitting next to Nyla and the events after that.)

After he finished, waiting to see if she'd be further intrigued in what 'experience' he was talking about, Nyla got up and walked over to the stew in order to stir it once more. Bradford watched the girl stir the food once more, time passing slowly as steam and smoke rose from the concoction, promising a smoky, meaty taste and a warm break from hunger. The hungry traveler listened as Nyla continued stirring the concoction, further inquiring on his bland response by asking, "What kind of experience? Like a job, or what exactly?" Soon after saying this, while Bradford was in thought, the girl walked over to her bags and collected two bowls, returning to the pot soon after to dish out the stew. The girl managed to quickly collect some food and offer a bowl politely to Bradford, whom of which offered a nod and one of his already-normal calming smiles as he grabbed the soup, placing it a few feet in front of himself to cool slightly. Bradford's face was still plastered with his wonderfully calming smile as he responded, "I am a master strategist now, but strategy requires wisdom, and wisdom comes with experience. The experience I need is with life and all of its hardships, that which cannot be gained through books, stories and training."

As Bradford was still talking to Nyla, Iantha wandered over to him and nudged him with her nose as she sniffed him after his last word, evoking a sharp reflex from Bradford, making him launch his arm up and turn suddenly, unaware of the dragon's sudden shift of presence. "Wha.." he began, very confused at the animal-like action as he slowly lowered his arm, still facing the creature as it interrupted his voice and his thoughts, staring him right in the eye. A female, hardly soft voice roughly interrupted his thoughts as he heard, You seem like a good man, echo in his head, almost as if the creature was talking to him.

The man immediately shot to his feet and backed away from the beast, nearly spilling his stew, his eyes filled with shock, his smile gone. "What in the name of Joan are you doing in my head?" he asked, his nervous voice posing a slight jesting tone as he stood, staring right back into the eyes of the dragon. The cobalt blue shone under the rays of the sun like the deep blue of the purest sapphire, although more dull and slightly lighter. The purple glitter from the scales sported a beauty that Bradford had not seen as the creature violently attempted to eat the rump of his steed, but in the moment, his eyes softened a little, although still nervous, looking at the spectacle of a beast. I'm the only one who should be in here. he thought, raising an eyebrow slightly after thinking the words.

Nyla had already seated herself again, and was holding the soup in her arm, giggling at his reaction. Iantha hummed beautifully, a sound mimicking human laughter in a sense, a slightly terrific sound, then rammed into the mind of Bradford again and mused, I'll be anywhere I like. her voice booming inside the head of the young human. Bradford grimaced at the prospect of a mind-reading dragon, realizing his thoughts would never be safe again, then watched as the dragon circled around behind him and nudged him towards Nyla in a very light manner, almost as if she expected a harder nudge to make him flinch again.

Bradford chuckled slightly, then picked up his soup as Iantha launched herself up into the air, making the fire blaze and forcing Bradford to spill a drop of stew. I'm going hunting! the dragon telepathically shouted, floating in the sky. Bradford nodded up at the dragon, then walked over to Nyla and sat down next to her, two feet or so away as he watched the fire, sitting on his legs in a Seiza position as he held the soup up to his face. As Bradford sat down, Nyla gagged and lowered her own bowl, blushing and apologetically stating, "I hope you don't mind the flavor. I never was a very good cook." The traveler did not intend to speak until he had consumed a bit of soup for himself, thus he quickly sipped a bit of the smoky liquid out of the bowl, tasting the incredibly strong smoke as he sipped and making out the subtle veggies and meat beneath, the warm broth soaking through his dry mouth like salt water on a wound.

Bradford too gagged for a moment, carefully placing the bowl on the ground as he did so. After clearing his throat with two hard coughs, Bradford erupted into a brief, spastic fit of laughter, a few tears streaming down his face. It only took a few seconds for Bradford to stop, thus before Nyla could respond, Bradford quickly began talking, his voice layered with cheer and happiness as he spoke. "This is exactly the same soup I made my first day learning how to survive in the wilderness!" Bradford started, smiling over at Nyla in fascination, "Beef strips, salted for two days and dried for two moons, dried radishes, carrots, beets and leeks, and even the strong smoke from the pine wood used to cook the concoction! It's just perfect!"

Bradford then stood up and quickly walked over to the fire, just to take a quick look at the stew to see if he had forgotten something. As much as the soup reminded him of his past, the smoke-infused stew was as good tasting as five-day-old burnt cowhide with added dirt. The man had manners, so he did not think it appropriate to outright say such things, but he knew how to improve her cooking immediately after seeing the pot. There were flakes of ash from the smoke which managed to float back down into the pot from what the fire spat out, and there was also a black film of soot from the smoke itself. The stew could not have been cooked better, as far as timing and ingredients as well as heat were concerned, but the added cacophony of smoke was unbearable.

Last edited by Amalgamator on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED - Page 2 Empty Re: The Fallen (M) Anyone ADVANCED

Post by Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 pm

(Dang... I need to figure this stuff out. Don't feel like a jerk, cause then I feel like an idiot... Basically, what happened was that Nyla was stating something Iantha had yet to do, and in my next paragraph, Iantha did it. If that makes any sense at all...I've been trying to separate Iantha and Nyla more, so it seems less confusing. And in doing that, my time scales are a little mixed up. I hope this helped a little... But if you would like me to change my post, I will...)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:29 am

(Okay, I'll try this one last time. Hopefully, I get it right... At my own computer, and on my schedule, I would have figured this out by now. But under the circumstances, I'm under, it takes me a while to figure stuff out. I guess I could say, I have to much going on at once... But it should clear up by Tuesday... Till then, your gonna have to be pretty patient with me...)

Nyla watched for Bradford's reaction, hoping that he wasn't upset in any way. When he started laughing, Nyla couldn't help herself, by laughing to. Nyla didn't know what they were laughing about, but the man's face was incredibly funny looking.He then surprised her by saying "This is exactly the same soup I made my first day learning how to survive in the wilderness!" Nyla smiled, a little confused at what he said, but he cleared it up for her, a little bit,"Beef strips, salted for two days and dried for two moons, dried radishes, carrots, beets and leeks, and even the strong smoke from the pine wood used to cook the concoction! It's just perfect!"

Nyla quickly got up, as he did. She walked beside him, and looked into the pot. Just the sight of the disgusting stew made her gag. "So you aren't upset?" Nyla asked. While waiting for his answer, she kicked more dirt upon the smoldering coals. As the dirt contacted them, the coals hissed and crackled. Almost like a crazy cat. Nyla couldn't help but giggle at the thought. Then she quickly cast a glance at Bradford to see if he noticed.

Meanwhile, Iantha had been flying high over the two. She wanted to keep an eye n this new man. Something about him just made her want to growl. She could tell he was a good man on the inside. But stuff just didn't add up about him. The Dragon hadn't overly examined his mind, but even in the quick seconds she had been speaking with him, she had concluded that he was hiding something. Iantha cast another glance below her, and saw that all was fine. She then made a wide circle around the two, and went back to her hunting.

Back on the ground, Nyla gently tapped Bradford's shoulder,"Do you know how to hunt? I've never had the chance to, and really didn't think I'd ever need the skill..." Nyla quickly looked away from him, after she asked that. She hated asking other people to do stuff, she couldn't. She satisfied herself by pulling out the Swordsmanship book, and pulling Ibolya from it's sheath. She then readied herself to do the complicated moves depicted in the book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:05 pm

(Patience is a virtue, and besides, it's always fun to help out a friend! Also, I think this is a moderately good pace, mostly because of how much is going on per response, but If you could maybe do just a bit less action per post? I still feel that you are jumping ahead a bit each post, giving me a set space to respond in, then going off to do something else. I do not want these posts to just be conversation, but if you're asking a question and running off to go practice swordplay as Bradford responds, it kinda seems a bit fishy still. We're getting there, though! Read on.)

Nyla followed Bradford over to the pot, and after gagging at the sight of the stew, she asked, "So you aren't upset?" Bradford immediately shook his head, pointing out, "We all need to start somewhere," as he watched the playful girl kick some dirt into the fire. When she looked up, noticing that he was watching, but she responded by tapping his shoulder and asking, "Do you know how to hunt?" Before Bradford could respond, she continued, looking away after she spoke, almost embarrassed, "I've never had the chance to, and really didn't think I'd ever need the skill."

Bradford smiled happily and chuckled slightly after hearing her last point, then watched her pull out a book as he responded, "Hunting is a skill which requires patience and skill, both of which I have. If you'd like to learn, I could teach you a bit." After speaking, Bradford watched the girl sloppily pull out her purple shortsword, a wicked, veined blade which seemed to be worth more than Bradford's own gift blade, at the same time reading a page in a book with a few pictures and a bunch of words written on it.

Well, she's got a lot to learn...for a girl my age. Bradford thought, chuckling again. After pulling out his parrying dagger, the strategist carefully pulled the burning hot pot off of the fire and put it to rest a few feet away, hoping the contents would not burn as it cooled. After doing this, he sheathed his parrying dagger back in his weapon-belt, in it's specially-designed loop, then looked back at Nyla as he wittingly pointed out, "If you'd like help learning to fight, I could help with that too." Of course, teaching is the best way to learn a skill one's self, as his master had once said, thus it was beneficial to pose the offer.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:11 pm

(okey doke, But I am doing better???)

"Hunting is a skill which requires patience and skill, both of which I have. If you'd like to learn, I could teach you a bit."
Nyla stopped and looked at him, surprised he would even think to teach her. She was after all, a girl. After thinking it through for a quick second, she nodded.Yeah, I would love that." She again readied herself and sighed, looking back at her book. She was distracted by him pulling off the stew pot, with a U shaped dagger. His next statement surprised her even more than the last."If you'd like help learning to fight, I could help with that too." Nyla didn't even think about her answer this time,, and she blurted out,"Yes!"

Iantha flew a couple of miles off, yet she was faintly aware of the conversation going on between Bradford and Nyla. Every now and then she would grunt in approval. She found this amusing, because she was far enough off, her opinion didn't matter. Her attention was brought to something else though. Down, below her, a bush wriggled. Iantha angled herself down slightly, keeping down wind. From her point, Iantha saw a light brown body cautiously appear from the bush. The leggy brown hair, hopped slowly out, stopping every few seconds to sniff the wind.

Iantha lightly dropped down upon the hair, making it send up a deafening cry. The Dragon growled, and quickly boke the animals neck, silencing it. She quickly tore into the rabbit, pulling at it's soft white belly hair. Then with a quick slice, she cut upon the rabbit's stomach, eating the contents quickly. It was only a mere snack for her, but it made the hunger pains stop. Iantha then buried the carcass of the creature, it being only skin, hair, and bones. Then she took off into the ever darkening sky, back towards camp.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:09 pm

(Why of course you're getting better! The best way to improve is to practice well, right? Keep on writing, but just like in poetry, make each word count!)

With an unanimously positive response, Nyla responded to Bradford's statement about hunting by eagerly saying, "Yeah, I would love that." After his second response, he was blessed with a short, "Yes," followed by a disruption of her practice. A mellow, exuberant chuckle erupted from Bradford's chest, his face masked with delight. "Wonderful! As your new designated teacher, I require two things: First, your attention, Second, your ears." The witty scholar's face was still covered with a wry smile as he spoke, his scholarly attitude setting in. He had remembered that his master said something along those lines the first day of class, except his teacher was far more arrogant.

After saying this, Bradford immediately began walking over to his horse, leaving no time for the girl to speak as he continued, "Hunting will take awhile, so I do not think we will be traveling any more today, and so we could set up a few snares for tomorrow..." his voice continuing to murmur out his thoughts as he continued, reaching his horse after a few seconds of surprisingly quick walking. He paused for a second and quickly shouted over his shoulder to Nyla, "Oh, and your patience. I need your patience too." as he smiled shyly, turning towards his horse as he began to plan what he'd need to hunt.

The figure then searched one of Nightfire's leather saddlebags, the one nearest the horse's rump, and pulled out a roll of thin twine, a rough-spun rope made of flax, plenty strong for snaring. "...no bow...well I could try fletching...a dragon scale?..." Bradford murmured as he continued searching in Nightfire's saddlebags for a minute. The scholar appeared to be deep in thought as he searched, momentarily unconscious of Nyla as he worked, wrapping twine around his shoulder as he looked for something.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:07 am

I listened to Bradford's chuckle, hoping I had not assumed a joke to be something real. My mouth opened slightly, as if to say something, but it quickly shut."Wonderful! As your new designated teacher, I require two things: First, your attention, Second, your ears." Nyla smiled slightly, her suspicions laid to rest. "Yes, and you will have them..." As the man walked over to his horse, I again began to ask a question, but the words never left my tongue. "Hunting will take awhile, so I do not think we will be traveling any more today, and so we could set up a few snares for tomorrow..." I nodded, even though Bradford probably couldn't see it because his back was turned away from me.

Nyla had been thinking, when Bradford's voice again hit her ears. "Oh, and your patience. I need your patience too." The girl looked up to see a shy smile on the man's handsome face. "Of course..." She said, smiling back. I waited patently as he again turned back towards his horse, and began searching through saddlebags. I wanted to tell him I had supplies to, but he seemed to deep in thought. I watched as he wrapped twine around his shoulder, and I went to my own bags. I grabbed the rope I had been storing, and also the tanned leather. I didn't know what exactly it was for, so I had better make some use of it...

The moon had arisen by the time Iantha started back for camp. From her constant connection with Nyla's mind, she could tell her partner was completely safe. The dragon thus, flew slowly. Her brilliant purple scales shone brightly in the moon light, casting purplish reflections all around her. As she got closer to camp, the Dragon picked up on a tension that had arisen. There was now a certain expectance between the two humans. Iantha didn't exactly understand why... When she finally landed down among the humans, her confusion only grew. Both humans were rummaging in their bags, and Iantha felt ignored. So as loud as she could, the Dragon shouted in both of their minds,Where are you going?!?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:01 am

(Re-writing is a chance to make a 'new' post, so it's not a problem, besides, I only changed a few words. Still, even in harsh winter, it's pushing it to go from midday to sun-down in the time it takes to eat lunch. Try to imagine how much time it takes for the actions in the role play, because we can always skip through time, but we can't go back.)

Having been tuned out of reality as he rummaged through his bags, Bradford had not heeded either Nyla's response, nor Iantha's landing. As a result, when he found the skinning knife he was looking for, he quickly pulled it out of his saddlebag, still in it's sheath, and fumbled around to attach it to his belt of weapons. Before he could finish strapping the sheath, a shout erupted in his mind, Where are you going?! he heard, the dragons' woman-like voice echoing constantly as he flinched, dropping the sheath by accident.

"Whaa--wha, we-we're g-go," Bradford started, re-asserting his stature after speaking as he cleared his throat, picking up the sheath and looking over at the dragon as he continued, "I volunteered to teach Nyla how to hunt, starting with snares." he stated, a snap resounding from his belt as the sheath was buckled into place. The skinning knife was moderately sharp, a fairly long blade with a slight curve and a very thin body. The handle appeared to be made of wrapped sinew, which added to the dark purpose of the knife.

After a moment, Bradford looked back over to Nyla and said, "You do not need to bring anything, I have all the materials we will need." He had already planned out the hunt, starting with a quick lecture as they searched for a good spot, an example on how to set up and prime a snare, and then, if time permitted, he could set up a freight snare for larger game and show her how to skin effectively the next day. Hunting was based heavily on random occurrences, however, thus he would teach Nyla some other skill instead of skinning if they caught nothing.

A smile still lit his face as he spoke, an air of inspiring confidence and adventure showing through his complexion. His cloak's design posed the hunting spirit, its rough weave and leaf-like design perfect for woodland foliage, and it even covered most of his body, save his feet and the cut-lines between and along the space below the waist. Around his shoulder was a thick wrap of twine, at least a hundred or so feet, and he had yet more in his saddlebags, knowing the extreme importance of the material. All together, the items lining his body combined with his brilliant complexion shone through the moon's light much like a torch over a treasure map on a pirate's ship.

Last edited by Amalgamator on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:45 pm

(It is night, because h=when Nyla got to the forest, the sun was already going down. But I could change that if you would like... I would hate to have you rewrite your entire post.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:14 pm

I'll have to reply when I get back home... I'm just about to leave from my vacation... Sad )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 am

(Yeah of course, Just letting you know I'm home now. I'll be on a lot more...)
Iantha hummed as she seemed to have scared the human. "Whaa--wha, we-we're g-go".  The dragon sat as he looked over at her, "I volunteered to teach Nyla how to hunt, starting with snares." Iantha nodded her head appreciatively. That is very kind of you. I always thought that Nyla should learn to hunt... It's only natural.... Iantha looked at the knife, and hummed to herself. She had forgotten human's didn't have big teeth. The Dragon then lay down, and yawned. She was going to sleep.

Nyla smiled at what Iantha said, and moved dropped her stuff. She then moved closer to the now laid down Dragon. Nyla rubbed Iantha's head, and then walked a bit closer to Bradford. She was wanting some instructions, something to do... After three days in the saddle, Nyla needed something that would require her to strain herself. For right now, she felt like a tub of grease. And she seriously did feel greasy, now that she thought about it. She really needed to bathe in some way.  Nyla couldn't figure herself out, a second ago she was tired enough to fall asleep standing, now she felt like she could run forever.

Iantha silently shut her eyes, falling into a kind of doze. She knew everything that was going on around her, every sound every smell. She kept her connection with Nyla strong. She also edged her mind's connection out to include Bradford's. She was hardly connected to his mind, but just enough to know if he was planning anything she should know about... Unlike Nyla, the dragon still did not fully trust the man. There was something weird about him, that Nyla couldn't sense... Something that made Iantha's scales itch.
(Sorry for the wait... I couldn't post last night...)

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 am

(Patience is a virtue, so it was not a problem waiting for you. Unfortunately, you will likely need to wait on me a lot, because I get fairly busy sometimes. Also, in this post, I sought to make some leeway on the hunting expedition, but I tried not to assume too much of Nyla beside her following Bradford.)

To respond to what Bradford had said, Iantha once more shouted into his mind, That is very kind of you. I always thought that Nyla should learn to hunt, it's only natural. Bradford nodded after hearing this thought, then watched as Nyla walked over to the dragon, whom of which laid herself down. The girl rubbed the dragon's head once or twice, then walked back over towards the still, smiling Bradford as he watched the two.

The scholar saw that the girl appeared somewhat impatient, so he motioned for her to follow him and began to walk towards the forest. "I urge you to talk softly, or not at all, or we may scare off more life than we intended." he said, smiling back at Nyla as he walked past a tree. A few paces later, he looked back again and continued, "Stay close to me, too."

After a few seconds of quick walking, Bradford began to talk again, his mellow voice much softer as he quieted himself, hoping not to scare off too many animals around himself. "There's a lot more to hunting than just being quiet, hiding yourself and killing animals," he started, grinning as he observed the woody environment. A few small animals hopped away from the two of them as if aware of what intentions the two had, the nocturnal birds and bats energetically flying around with the enthusiasm of the bugs they ate.

"To hunt, you need to know the animal you want to kill better than it knows itself." Various herbs, bushes and flowers lined the way as the two walked deeper into the forest, the flora and fauna becoming more plentiful as they went along. The scholar could identify over half the herbs without a second thought, and most of the flowers shouted names at him as well, their cold, winter blooms shining through the soft moonlight leaking through the thin canopy brighter than most of the other flora. Bugs and tree-roots lined the uneven ground, almost posing as markers for the scholar as he orienteered through the landscape, waiting for the light of camp to disappear behind them.

After the first four or five minutes of walking, the two had made it far enough away from camp to no longer see the light, so Bradford stopped and spoke again, "As I told Iantha, the first skill I will teach you is to snare." With this said, Bradford began to unravel some of the twine from around his chest and shoulder as he continued, "A snare is a trap, to put it simply. To make one, you need rope, pieces of wood, and a bit of bait." With this said, Bradford skillfully snapped the skinning knife from under his cloak, rested the edge on the part of the twine he wanted to cut, and with a single swipe, separated a ten-foot length of twine from the rest around his body.

Immediately after, he sheathed the knife and said, "We have the rope, so now I'll show you the wood we need." as he held out the rope, smiling thoughtfully at the girl as he spoke, his eyes posing the curious, 'any questions?' gaze he had seen his master show too many times to count. The man stood still for a second as he said this, holding out the twine to emphasize that they had the rope, then he began walking right in comparison to his previous direction, bunching up the twine as he did so, looking at the ground mostly and looking up occasionally to see if any danger was near. The bushes were not very high, thus nocturnal predators would have a difficult time sneaking up on them.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:30 am

(I can wait... Do not rush what you have to do... And I liked your post!!)
 Nyla quickly followed Bradford, looking back only once at Ian tha. She could feel the Dagon's presence pressed against her mind. This reassured her."I urge you to talk softly, or not at all, or we may scare off more life than we intended." Nyla looked at him, and nodded. He was smiling at her. So she gave a small smile back. "Stay close to me, too." Nyla again nodded silently, and lengthened her stride so she was right next to him. Nyla looked at the man as he began talking again,"There's a lot more to hunting than just being quiet, hiding yourself and killing animals." Nyla nodded, and smiled back. Her attention was redirected to a chipmunk, as it scurried along the root of a tree, soon dispersing into the shadows.

Then Nyla's attention was attracted to the birds up above. They cawed, tweeted, and made many bird sounds. They all sounded happy as they flew through the air, eating the flying bugs that got within their reach. Nyla was interrupted from watching a funny little bird, by Bradford's voice",To hunt, you need to know the animal you want to kill better than it knows itself." This confused Nyla, but she kept her mouth shut. As the two walked farther into the shadows, Nyla got the feeling that something was watching her. Her skin crawled, and goosebumps appeared on her arms.

After around five minutes, the two were in complete darkness, and the feeling of eyes staring at Nyla, wouldn't go away. She looked at Bradford as he began to speak, "As I told Iantha, the first skill I will teach you is to snare." Nyla nodded, but her head snapped to the side as she thought she heard a twig snap. She looked back at Bradford, but he hadn't seemed to here it, so Nyla concluded it was just a figment of her mind. Nyla watched as Bradford unraveled some twine, and said, "A snare is a trap, to put it simply. To make one, you need rope, pieces of wood, and a bit of bait." Nyla nodded, and was mesmerized at how easily he maneuvered his knife. And how easily he cut the twine. Nyla would have had to saw at the twine, and the end would have been fringed...

Nyla nodded and smiled. She was edgy though, and she was sure if Bradford would have hiccupped, she would have screamed... "We have the rope, so now I'll show you the wood we need." Nyla again nodded, and saw that Bradford probably wanted her to ask questions. So as to not upset him, she asked,"What kind of wood is that?" Nyla looked down at the twine he held, and nodded again. She felt like a five year old being taught to read. She wanted top do it, she just couldn't keep her mind on the task... When Bradford started walking again, Nyla followed him. She awaited her answer patently, and tried not to make any noise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30 pm

(I know quite a bit about these sort of things myself, so I try to make it interesting. Oh, and I don't rush, I'm just not on all the time. I have all the time I need to respond.)

Bradford continued along in a straight path, thinking slightly as he went along, forming an answer to his companion's question while looking for suitable pieces of wood. "The type of wood does not matter very much. What we need are two pieces of wood with ends which can be linked together slightly. I'll show you if I find one." Bradford said, still walking around as he looked for a good stick. Such a search had taken him ten minutes the first time he practiced making a snare, but under the glow of the moon, Bradford found a nice-looking stick with a protruding knot.

The hunter picked up the piece of wood and showed it to Nyla, smiling still. The stick was relatively straight, the knot at the end almost pointing straight out, and the body of the stick itself was around a foot long, a small piece of wood with a slight L shape. "This is one, now we need to find a shorter piece." Bradford pointed out, walking again almost without pause. He put the stick in the bunched up twine in his other hand as he continued looking around, his eyes darting from glints in the distance to the ground as his free hand felt its way to his shortsword hilt every now and then.

In under a minute, with a few gentle hoots and clicks from above, Bradford found another ideal stick, this one with two small knots at one end and a curve at the other end, slightly less straight and shorter than the first, but still useful. "This is the other piece. You'll see why I chose them in a minute. First we find a place to set up." Bradford continued, his voice a trained whisper, his 's's and 't's extremely soft. The man then motioned for Nyla to follow him some more as he walked around, this time focusing completely on his surroundings.

A thought came to his mind as he walked, What animal first? Bradford grinned as he saw a pile of dung left by a jackrabbit, then stopped and pointed towards it. "Droppings are a good sign that animals move through here. When finding a place to set a trap, this is the first sign you look for." As he spoke, he looked around a bit more, continuing, "Not necessarily dung, but footprints, a pile of eaten food, a carcass, shed skin, or anything else, so long as there are at least two different signs in the area." as he pointed to a few scattered pine cone pieces and berry flesh remnants.

Having seen those signs, Bradford dropped the twine and the short piece of wood, holding in his hand only the long piece of wood with the single knot. "Now, I understated the importance of this wood by calling it that. This, combined with the other piece of wood, is called a trigger. We need to carve the pieces a little so they fit together right, so I'll show you how to do that." Another twig snapped nearby, but Bradford ignored it again as he pulled out a different blade, a short, thick, sturdy blade he kept in a separate compartment of his skinning-knife sheath.

Bradford sat down in the ground and instantly began to carve away bits of the wood, gripping the handle and pressing his thumb against the dull part of the blade as the edge skinned away the bark of the stick. After a few seconds, Bradford looked up at Nyla and said, "It should look like this when you're done," as he held up the carved piece of wood, a single section carved out, an angular cut into the knot of wood and along that side, forming even more of a familiar L shape, angled so that it'd act like a hook.

Bradford then placed the stick on the ground and picked up the other piece of wood, setting to work carving out another hook in that piece as he said, "This one will look the same, so look around and tell me if you see something." As he said this, he quickly carved out a few more chunks of wood, making the hooked end of the short trigger match the slant of the long trigger as his knife glided through the wood towards the ground, away from the user. The knife was not that long, but it was plenty thick to leave a heavy gash, and the metal was well-forged, so it was not easily dulled in the wood as he cut.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Nyla followed Bradford, her skin crawling. Goosebumps covered every inch of her body, and she reminded herself the night was still young. That whatever was out there still had plenty of time to get them."The type of wood does not matter very much. What we need are two pieces of wood with ends which can be linked together slightly. I'll show you if I find one." Nyla was brought out of her mind's shell, by his voice. "Oh..." was all she could say.

I looked at the wood, but wasn't exactly focused. My mind kept wandering. "This is one, now we need to find a shorter piece." I again nodded, and saw a flash of movement to my right. Something was definitely there! My hand automatically rested on the hilt of my sword, and my eyes grew wider than usual. What if Bradford was apart of the King's court. What if he had been pulling me into a trap this whole time. Maybe this was an ambush...

"This is the other piece. You'll see why I chose them in a minute. First we find a place to set up." Nyla didn't nod this time, just stared. Her mind was completely off the lesson now, it was running wild with what ifs? Nyla cautiously followed Bradford, going deeper into the forest... She glanced behind her every few steps, and her breathing became heavier. As the two walked, an owl hotted and Nyla almost jumped. Bradford stopped and pointed at something, "Droppings are a good sign that animals move through here. When finding a place to set a trap, this is the first sign you look for." Nyla again just stared at the man. "Not necessarily dung, but footprints, a pile of eaten food, a carcass, shed skin, or anything else, so long as there are at least two different signs in the area." Nyla nodded this time, and looked over to a pile of nibbled on berries.

Bradford mdropped his supplies, and held the long piece of wood, and Nyla gulped. "Now, I understated the importance of this wood by calling it that. This, combined with the other piece of wood, is called a trigger. We need to carve the pieces a little so they fit together right, so I'll show you how to do that." A twig snapped after his statement, and Nyla did jump, the sound was closer this time. As the man drew his other knife, Nyla slowly began backing away. As Bradford dropped onto the ground, Nyla stilled herself. She moved closer to him again, and watched what he was doing. "It should look like this when you're done,"Nyla nodded,"Okay..."

Bradford grabbed the other stick, and said,"This one will look the same, so look around and tell me if you see something." Nyla nodded. She looked around, her eyes shining in the faint moonlight. Fear showed in her dark pupils, and she looked like a deer facing down a hunter. Nyla tried to focus on the sound of Bradford cutting, but her attention was drawn to two bright yellow eyes peering out at her from a shadow. "Bradford..." She whispered.

The beast bared it's fangs, and that was all Nyla could take. She turned, and sprinted away. Not caring where she was going, Nyla made no atemp to memorize her surroundings. She didn't look where she was going, and not even a minute of running had past before she tripped on a tree root. The girl fell face first into  the ground, letting out a high pitched shriek as she hit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:51 pm

"Bradford..." whispered Nyla, her faint voice brimming with fear as she nervously stared at a creature in the distance. Bradford looked up at Nyla, then followed her gaze to a predator hiding within a dark green bush sporting a few future flower buds. Bradford instantaneously took action, sheathing his carving knife as he effortlessly flung his shortsword from it's sheath. He heard Nyla turn around and shock shot through Bradford's heart as he spoke out, his voice no longer quiet, "Wait! Don't run!"

His command came too late, and as the girl sprinted off, Bradford quickly turned his gaze back to the face of a dire wolf, a more sizable variety of one of the most vicious animals in the forest. Dire size, I'd say. That means he's alone, and likely wounded, judging from how he's not squinting. Bradford thought, cracking his joints as he stared down his foe, a few seconds passing as he planned his attack. The dire wolf popped out of the bush the second Bradford lowered his blade slightly, a fierce roar erupting from its maw.

Bradford knew his prey far better than it knew itself, but standing where the wolf would land was still stupidity. With a sharp side-step, Bradford reared out of the way of the fierce beast, watching as he arced through the air, towards the spot Bradford was previously in. The strategist did not pause for an instant, moving his blade from a forward grip to back-hand, and the second the wolf landed, the strategist countered the surprised beast with a fully-weighted stab to the chest. The beast did not die immediately, but after the swordsman's counter, it's hope at food gone, it swiped its claw fruitlessly at the hem of Bradford's cloak, growling and gargling as blood began filling its lungs. The sword had found its way into the creature's left lung, an undoubtedly lethal blow.

The hunter wasted no time in retrieving his blade from the corpse, twisting the metal before prying it out to avoid suction, then left the beast to bleed and suffocate to death as he quickly sprinted back in the direction Nyla had gone, his strides so long that he nearly seemed to float in the air. His smile was gone in the circumstances, for killing was not meant to be smiled upon, and as Bradford ran, his bloody shortsword swinging beside him as he gripped it in a foregrip again, the strategist followed the sound of Nyla's footsteps.

Ten seconds after the encounter, Nyla tripped and screamed, and Bradford managed to slow down and stop before reaching her, performing a quick flick with his shortsword to get a bit more blood off of the metal before returning it to his sheath. Back in his quiet voice, Bradford asked, "Nyla, are you hurt?" walking over to the girl as she lay on the ground, his face solemn and worried as he offered a hand, "I don't abandon friends that quickly." He examined her feet first, but she did not seem tangled, having merely caught her foot behind a root as she ran, but he could not tell whether or not she wore blood or sweat on her face in the light of the moon.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Nyla landed with a thud. The breath was knocked out of her, and her hands flew to her chest. She lay there gasping as Bradford ran up. "Nyla, are you hurt?" The girl couldn't talk, every inch of her body was on fire. Her lungs screamed for oxygen. "I don't abandon friends that quickly." Finally cool, fresh, oxygen poured into her lungs. Nyla lay there gasping like a fish for a few more seconds, and then she nodded,"I'm fine..." Nyla smiled, and grasped Bradford's warm hand.

She pulled herself to her feet, and her ankle gave out as soon as she put weight on it. Nyla lurched forward, but caught herself on Bradford's arm. She tested her ankle again, and a searing pain shot up her leg. Her ankle again gave out, but she was already hanging on to Bradford. "I...I hurt my ankle." She said smiling slightly. She looked behind them, remembering the creature that had frightened her. "Wha- What was it?" She held on tightly to the Man's arm, looking up at him.

Iantha woke up with a roar of pain. She had been sleeping, when Nyla had fallen. Now Iantha was looking about, worried about Nyla. She let out a worried whimper. She was two big to fly into the close net of tree's. She quickly cast her mind to her partner's, but Nyla was to far away to talk to. Iantha could tell the girl was more frightened than Iantha had ever seen her be. She was also in great pain. Iantha sensed the Bradford would protct her though, so the purple Dragon was able to calm down a little.

(Sorry it's short...)

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:24 pm

(It's fine to make a short post when you don't do much. Mine will be short too, because I don't want to make assumptions.)

Bradford continued holding out his hand as the exhausted girl lay on the ground, catching her breath slowly. He wanted to pull her up, worried that she had sustained a wound, but she reassured him after a few seconds by responding, "I'm fine," and turning over to grasp his hand. The scholar effortlessly pulled up Nyla, releasing her hand after she got all the way to her feet, but just as Bradford smiled, about to speak, she fell forward and hung onto his right arm for dear life. The scholar quickly pulled the girl up, raising an eyebrow as she steadied herself again.

A second later, she nearly collapsed again, but Bradford expected her to fall this time, and used his other arm to help her up at her other shoulder. After she was up again, the scholar smiled innocently at the girl and chuckled slightly after she said, "I-I hurt my ankle," with a slight smile. Bradford was about to speak again, but Nyla quickly looked back in the direction she ran from, asking, "Wha-What was it?" in a slightly nervous voice.

Bradford smiled reassuringly at the girl, and knelt town to her height, his eyes sparkling in the moonlight as he spoke, his soft, quiet voice spoke, "You no longer need to worry about it, I'll tell you tomorrow. Hop on my back and I'll get you back to camp so we can get your ankle splinted." With this said, he turned around, one arm still displacing her weight as he looked around, his eyes searching for other creatures. "I guess I can show you how to snare some other day, during sunlight, when the baddies aren't out."
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Nyla looked at him worriedly, and cast a small smile. "You no longer need to worry about it, I'll tell you tomorrow. Hop on my back and I'll get you back to camp so we can get your ankle splinted."Nyla shook her head, not wanting to," I think I can make it... It'll just take me a couple more minutes." As she gingerly put weight on her injured ankle, pain again shot up her leg, and she had to grit her teeth to keep from squealing. She then hopped on Bradford's back, and after a bit of a struggle, she got comfortable. She let her arms hang around his neck loosely, her head rested against his shoulder.

"I guess I can show you how to snare some other day, during sunlight, when the baddies aren't out." Nyla smiled. "Thanks..." The young girl yawned, feeling suddenly very tired. She enjoyed the warmth Bradford was giving off, it was wonderful compared to the chill, damp forest air. Nyla let her eye lids droop, but it was then that Nyla felt Iantha's worry and frustration. She tried to contact the dragon, but they were to far apart. Nyla felt Iantha's worry settle into her own mind, and she became worried about the Dragon. She tried to calm herself, and felt she had succeeded when Iantha's mind grew calmer on the other side of their connection.

Iantha growled as she was forced to wait for the slow humans. She could tell Nyla was hurt, but not badly. Nothing that would keep her from escaping, if danger arose. This comforted Iantha, and from their connection, she found she could comfort Nyla. The Dragon's tail twitched impatiently. and another growl erupted from her throat. She was so frustrated she could not go and help. Iantha was still to small to carry a full sized Human, but Nyla didn't weigh much even for the girl's ridiculous height. Iantha clawed at the earth beneath her, leaving huge gorges, that looked like mini canyons.

(Again, sorry it's short...)

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 pm

(Again, it's fine that it's short. Also, I assume Nyla lets go of Bradford in this post, that or he separates Nyla from himself.)

"I think I can make it, it'll just take me a couple more minutes." Nyla responded, giving Bradford a brief sly smile as he waited a second or two for the girl to change her mind. One step later, Nyla wrapped her arms around Bradford's neck, and he responded by looping the crook of his arm under her knees so that she would not fall off. "Thanks," Nyla continued, yawning seconds later as Bradford began to quickly walk back towards camp. He hadn't taken more than ten minutes to make it to the spot where he was going to make the snare, but despite the girl's added weight, Bradford still managed to walk a bit faster than he had walked out.

In three minutes, the two could see the light from the dimming campfire again, its bright light illuminating the purple glow of Iantha's scales. Bradford had a gentle smile on his face as he continued on, his heartbeat off-set by the girl on his back. The twine wrapped around his chest did not chafe him, surprisingly, but his belt felt awkward on his waist from the added weight. As Bradford walked out of the tree-line a few minutes later, approaching the fire, he cast a gleeful smile at Iantha and said, "I started, at least." with a quick chuckle. The scholar sat down with Nyla on his back and gently set her down along the saddle, getting up after she had let go of him.

"I need to get her a splint, so watch over her," the scholar spoke, facing the glimmering dragon as he began to walk towards the forest once again, "She tripped and pulled her ankle."
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Nyla smiled as he began walking. She nestled her forehead in the crook between his neck, and his shoulder. She liked the way he smelled, it reminded her of home somehow. As light became apparent through the trees, Nyla couldn't help but wish they were back in the forest. When they entered camp, Nyla gave a faint smile to Iantha, and she giggled when the Dragon snorted. I'm never taking my eyes off you again! Iantha growled in Nyla's mind. Nyla couldn't tell if Bradford had hear it.

As he lowered Nyla to the ground, Bradford chuckled,"I started, at least." This made Iantha hum in amuesment. Nyla frowned, and crawled off Bradford's back, wincing as her ankle knocked against the ground. Bradford got up and faced Iantha, "I need to get her a splint, so watch over her,"The Dragon nodded,I won't look away from her... As Bradford began walking away, he called over his shoulder,"She tripped and pulled her ankle." The Dragon nodded, I can see that...

Before Bradford got very far, Nyla called out,"Wait!" When she thought she had gotten his attention, she continued,"Thank You for helping me... With everything..." Then Nyla looked away, her cheeks burning. She never had liked not being able to do stuff herself, but her cheeks were burning from more than that. Iantha plodded over to where Nyla sat, and the girl greeted her with a smile. Iantha shook her head, and said wisely, Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement, Nyla. Nyla was confused and asked what that meant, but the Dragon kept silent...

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:44 pm

(Here I give you four minutes to talk, but I logically assume Nyla is still seated upon Bradford's return. Good night, by the way.)

After the dragon's smart responses, Bradford heard his companion shout for his attention, "Wait!" and so he quickly stopped as he turned around, confused. Nyla continued, "Thank you for helping me with everything." Bradford smiled cheerfully and responded, "My pleasure!" as he turned around, disappearing in the forest as he moved along, searching the ground for appropriately-straight sticks. The scholar decided to go back out and collect what he left after providing Nyla with aid, figuring that he could at least get a meal out of the dead wolf the next morning.

After finding two surprisingly straight sticks, Bradford returned to camp, two minutes having elapsed. As he approached Nyla, he unwound a few feet of twine from around his chest and quickly whipped out his skinning knife to separate the rope again, a glint from the knife the only indication that he had moved it as he set it back in its sheath at his waist, the jumble of twine in his left hand and the two short sticks in his right hand. "Does it hurt when you twist your ankle, or when you push down on it?" Bradford asked, starting to unwind the twine as he sat down at the feet of Nyla.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44 am

(Thanks, and Good Morning!)
Nyla heard Bradford's response of,"My pleasure!", but the girl was to busy thinking about what Iantha had said. Was it about how she ran from the beast? She had been to frightened to think , so that could be one meaning of it. Was there another, though? Nyla couldn't help but feel that there was. Iantha sat in silence beside the girl, acting oblivious to the girl's thoughts, though Nyla knew she could hear them. Nyla was interrupted by the crunching of leaves, but Iantha didn't seem suspisious, so Nyla assumed it was Bradford. She was right.

The man held to relativley straight sticks, and some of his twine. He flicked his his knife, and the twine split. Nyla hardly saw his knife,  only the glint of the blade in the dying light of the coals. Nyla watched him get closer, and say, "Does it hurt when you twist your ankle, or when you push down on it?" Nyla nodded. "It hurts when I move it or put weight on it." She watched him sit down at her feet, and gritted her teeth. While she didn't think the bone was broken, she knew that splinting it was gonna hurt.

Iantha watched in silence, reading the man's every move. If he posed as a threat to Nyla, she would be all over him. She was sure he would not hurt her though, not intentionally. The Dragon drew closer to the pair, being a comfort to Nyla. The Dragon hummed lightly, and said in her mind to the two, Let us get on with it... Then Iantha ruffled her wings, and watched.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amalgamator Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:09 am

Bradford waited for Nyla's response as he propped up her leg on his knee, watching her with his normal, calming smile as he waited a second for a response. Nyla spoke with certainty as she responded, "It hurts when I move it or put weight on it." Bradford nodded, figuring he had made a good choice to get the sticks, and took off the girl's boot carefully. The midsection of the length of twine went behind her ankle, then he wrapped both ends of the rope under the arch of her food, over her instep, around her ankle, around the section between the ball of her foot and her toes, under the part crossing over her instep, back around her ankle, under the rope which was used for the first action, up and around to her instep again, and he tied off the rope with a quick square knot, making sure the entire splint was as tight as he could get it.

After tying off the splint, Bradford took the two sticks, both only a half-foot in length and moderately flat and thin, and slid them along her ankle at a slight angle, pressing them between a few of the ropes to keep her ankle from bending either way. After the splint was done, Bradford slid Nyla's shoe back onto her foot and rested the splinted foot on the ground. "I'll need to tie it again if the rope near the ball of your foot slides off, so try not to move your toes." Bradford warned Nyla, smiling as he got up, "I'm going to retrieve what we left in the forest, but you should prop up your leg on something or else your foot might swell."

With this said, Bradford turned and started walking towards the forest, wondering how heavy the dire wolf he killed would be. Wolves tended to be quite heavy, but the one he saw was injured even when he found it, and likely slow-moving in how long it took to attack. The trigger he left would be quite useful in teaching the next day, and the twine he left couldn't be spared, for it was a considerable amount of rope. Not what I intended to kill, but wolf meat will do. he thought, air rushing from his mouth silently as if he was chuckling.
Amalgamator
Amalgamator
Good player
Good player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:46 am

Nyla flinched as Bradford lifted up her foot. As he began wrapping, Nyla found herself biting her bottom lip. She gripped the sides of her saddle till her knuckles turned white. As he tied the twine, her lip split, and she tasted blood. When she thought he was finally done, Nyla let a quivering breath go. Iantha stared at her in concern, and Nyla gave the Dragon a weak smile. You look like my prey before I eat them... That made Nyla laugh. Nyla sucked in her breath again, as Bradford inserted the sticks along the side of her splint. A small groan escaped her, but she silenced herself.

When Bradford finally and painfully, slid her boot back on, and laid her foot down, he said, "I'll need to tie it again if the rope near the ball of your foot slides off, so try not to move your toes." Nyla grinned back up at him, and shook her head,"I won't be doing that, then..." When Bradford had stood he said, "I'm going to retrieve what we left in the forest, but you should prop up your leg on something or else your foot might swell." Nyla's smile disappeared and a frown took it's place. "Be Careful..."

Iantha watched the man leave, and then slowly stuck her large head underneath Nyla's knee. The Dragon then crawled sideways, till Nyla's hurt ankle rested on the thicker part of her neck. The movement of her foot, caused Nyla to groan, but she gave Iantha a happy smile. The Dragon curled up a little, and closed her eyes. Rest now Young One... Nyla then nodded, and closed her eyes, quickly falling into a heavy sleep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next